It’s important to understand what’s covered and how regular gutter cleaning can minimise the risk of your claim being refused.
Imagine coming home after a long day at work, only to find you have a new swimming pool in your entertainment area. Or worse, you discover water leaking into your roof and inside the house, damaging your roof, causing an electrical hazard, and ruining appliances and furniture. Gaaarh! This is another stress you don’t need right now.
Who knew blocked gutters could cause this much damage?
You spend hours cleaning up the mess, and the repairs are going to cost a fortune. When you finally get chance to breathe and take stock of the expense you break out in a cold sweat. You start frantically searching for your home insurance policy…are you covered for damage caused by blocked gutters?!
Is water damage caused by blocked gutters covered by your home insurance policy?
While the above scenarios are extreme examples, it’s a situation no homeowner wants to face. And it can quickly become a nightmare if you’re left with a hefty clean-up bill.
Even with flood cover you may not be covered for blocked gutters. According to MoneySmart.gov.au, most policies exclude flood as a result of blocked or broken gutters. So, it’s always worth checking your policy.
Canstar also backs this up by confirming that while insurance policies may cover ‘escape of liquid’ from overflowing or damaged gutters, this is usually due to sudden, unexpected damage, not damage that could have been prevented with regular maintenance.
- Blocked roof gutters can cause significant damage to your property, including water damage to your roof, foundation and inside the house.
- Without adequate insurance and regular maintenance, repairing damage caused by blocked gutters can be costly and time-consuming.
- Home insurance policies vary in terms of the types of damage they cover. Some policies may not cover damage caused by blocked gutters, while others may offer limited coverage. It’s important to review your policy carefully to ensure you have the cover you need.
- Water damage caused by blocked gutters can occur without warning, making it difficult to predict. Having insurance cover in place and regularly maintaining your gutters can provide peace of mind and financial protection in case of the unexpected.
Gutter maintenance is better than expensive repairs
When you think of important home maintenance tasks, gutter cleaning may not be top of mind. The state of your gutters can sometimes fall into the out of sight, out of mind bucket. But it pays not to neglect this very important area of home maintenance.
Prevention is always better than a cure (or in cases of no insurance – no cure), so make gutter cleaning part of your regular home maintenance plan. Damage caused by blocked, overflowing gutters can be prevented with regular gutter cleaning.
If you can’t clean your gutters yourself, or aren’t confident up a ladder, hire a professional. It may involve an initial cost but when you consider the cost of repair work, it’s a small price to pay for peace of mind.
How often should you clean your gutters?
Once a year is generally fine to ensure your gutters remain clear. But if you have overhanging trees you may need to clean them every few months to prevent excess build up.
We understand you don’t always have the time or expertise to clean your gutters. That’s where we can help.
Our gutter cleaning service includes:
- Removal of leaves and debris from roof and gutters
- Water flow test to ensure gutters are clear
- Blower vac of your yard and leaf removal
- High-pressure roof clean (can be quoted as part of a whole job)
So don’t wait until it’s too late – contact us today to request a quote or schedule your next gutter clean.